The weekend is always a good time for a meme – admittedly, it’s not much of one but there you have it. Have a good weekend, folks.
1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? Yes, a German actress, Anita Ekberg
2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED? A few days ago when I was so cold I couldn’t stand it.
3. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT? Pastrami
4. DO YOU HAVE KIDS? Not unless you count my dog and cat.
5. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU? Of course I’d like to say yes, but I can be a pain in the ass so maybe not.
6. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT? Who me?
7. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? Yes
8. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? No, I figure if I want to see my life pass before my eyes there are more fun ways to go about it.
9. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? Oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar.
10. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF. Hell no.
11. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG? Not only do I think it, I know it.
12. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM? Gold Medal Ribbon (Baskins & Robbins)
13. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE? Whether or not they look me in the eye.
14. RED OR PINK? Pink of course
15. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF? I’m too careful sometimes.
16. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST. My Dad…always my Dad.
17. WHAT COLOR SHOES ARE YOU WEARING? Not wearing shoes but I do have on some very cute pink fuzzy socks.
18. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE? Cheese omelette and toast.
19. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? The television going in the other room and the heater guy drilling holes in the floor.
20. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? If I were a crayon my color would be the least of my worries.
21. FAVORITE SMELLS? The ocean, jasmine, baking bread, Bill
22. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? Zelda
23. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH? After Christmas sale shopping.
24. HAIR COLOR? Blonde
25. EYE COLOR? Sea-green
26. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? Nope
27. FAVORITE FOOD? Chocolate
28. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS? Happy endings, I gave up scary movies once I was smart enough to be grossed out by them and didn’t think it was a good thing.
29. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED? Sabrina
30. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING? Maroon
31. SUMMER OR WINTER? Most definitely summer
32. HUGS OR KISSES? I refuse to choose
33. FAVORITE DESSERTS? Pumpkin pie, chocolate funnel cake, strawberry short cake.
34. I’M MOST LIKELY TO…? Put my foot in my mouth and then write a poem, story or post about it.
35. I’M LEAST LIKELY TO…? Hold a grudge.
36. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW? Not reading any books right now…
37. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD? My mouse, my hand, probably some Christmas cookie crumbs…
38. WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON TV LAST NIGHT? Constantine, Sabrina & Sex in the City.
39. FAVORITE SOUNDS? The Ocean, morning birds, night rain, evening breeze rustling the trees.
40. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES? Beatles
41. WHAT IS THE FARTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME? Florida
42. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT? Well, I can write, although I don’t know if it’s special. I’m also a great cook, gardener, furniture refinisher and bargain hunter. Again, don’t know if you would call that special.
43. WHERE WERE YOU BORN? McKeesport, PA
Well it’s the weekend, so it must be meme time again, eh?
This one is from Alex over at Someday Syndrome. Thanks, Alex.
I am: just me.
I think: too much, too often
I know: I can survive anything
I have: too many ideas and too little time
I wish: people were kinder to each other
I hate: as little as possible, it serves no purpose and resolves nothing
I miss: having my own little house, the room mate thing is getting old
I fear: I won’t have enough time to do everything I want to do.
I hear: what people think
I smell: everything, which can be a little distracting.
I crave: chocolate sometimes but I’m not a craver at heart, if I want something then I usually just go get it.
I search: for the truth, not just mine, but the truth in all things
I wonder: why life can’t be more simple.
I regret: nothing. what is done is done, you cannot call it back. there is no point in regretting.
I love: the ocean, the blue of it, the sky above it, the vast space of it.
I ache: when I exercise too much or don’t get enough sleep
I am not: trying to be anyone but myself. What you see is what you get.
I believe: all people are basically good, despite evidence to the contrary
I dance: when I am joyous
I sing: all the time, especially old jazz standards and blues
I cry: when I’m happy and when I am sad, my emotions are volatile and at the surface.
I fight: when I have to, I don’t like to fight but I’m not afraid either.
I win: when I remain true to myself, regardless of the circumstances.
I lose: when I give in to things I know aren’t true or me.
I never: want to stop writing.
I always: believe change is possible.
I confuse: people sometimes.
I listen: with all of my senses.
I can usually be found: at a computer keyboard.
I am scared: of very little.
I need: space, a garden, writing implements, friends and purpose in what I am doing.
I am happy about: sunshine, flowers, laughter, song, art.
I imagine: a world in which there is no war, crime and insanity but peaceful co-existence where everyone strives to improve the state and condition of the world and nothing more.
I tag: no one, do the meme if you’ve a mind to. It’s an interesting exercise actually.
Okay, it’s the weekend, so it must be meme time. So, everyone else is doing this google image meme, and I thought I’d give it a try. Wow, it’s actually a lot of pictures – lol – and I thought it would be easy.
Listen, there are some things i just don’t share, one is chocolate and…
Place you want to travel
The old sod – yup, I wanna go there, preferrably on St. Paddy’s Day
Your favorite place
The ocean, especially at sunset, drinking a glass of wine with a handsome man
A nice hunk of medium rare filet, thank you very much – goes nicely with that wine and sunset too.
Your favorite pet
Maggie the dog, can you tell she likes peanut butter?
Favorite color combinations
Blues and greens – the color of the ocean, what could be better?
Favorite piece of clothing
Vintage silk, nothing like it
All time favorite song
Sorry couldn’t find a pic – At Last, by Etta James – listen to it, it’s really great. Ah, if only I could sing, I’d be belting this baby out everyday.
Favorite television show
Something about a soccer mom with special talents really gets me.
Which town you live in
Sunland – that’s my street. Aren’t the clouds incredible?
Screen name/ nick name
Ironically, the only thing that came up on this search were pictures from my own posts. I suppose there is something cool about that, right?
My first baby sitting job was when I was ten. I think. Now, what the heck were those people thinking, leaving a baby with a ten year old?
Yes, a famous, award winning mystery author would suit me just fine as a full time job.
Bad habit that you have
I do have a tendency to over-think things. No really, I do.
Yeah, Jaws really kind of made me not want to go into the ocean, you know what I mean?
Things to do before you die
I never would have thought this – but it seems travel is in my future and I’m really looking forward to it.
First thing you’ll buy if you get a million dollars
I am determined to have my house on the beach – I want the ocean to be my front yard, go to sleep to the sound of waves and wake up to the sound of gulls. Perfection.
Sorry folks, nothing to see here – I don’t have either. And even if I had a pic of my ex husband I wouldn’t post it. Too scary.
Present you want for next birthday
My dream car – a cherried out, 1968 Chevy Impala Ragtop. Pale yellow with butter soft leather seats. Wind blowing through my hair, tooling down Highway 1 – now that’s a birthday present.
My chum Teeni, the meme queen, has tagged me to do the bucket list – it has its source in a movie by the same name (I think) wherein Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicolson make a list of the things they want to do before they kick the bucket. Not having seen the movie, I’m not sure, but I suspect they were only allowed eight items or that’s all they came up with – so in the meme, we only get eight items. I probably could have come up with more but I will behave and just stick to my top eight.
1. Sky dive. I realize this may surprise a few people, especially anyone who knows me because I am not the dare devil type. Hell, I don’t even like to drive that much. And part of the reason is because of my chicken-ness and a desire to overcome that. Moreso though, I want to know what it feels like to fly and I think skydiving is the closest you can come to that without involving massive machinery.
2. To write something breahtakingly beautiful. Perfect. So that if I were to die the next day I will have left one thing of worth behind.
3. To fall desperately in love with a man who is also desperately in love with me for some reason. Then have lots of sex – just kidding – well, maybe not – I’ll have to think about that…
4. To go Ireland and visit all the wee villages in County Cork, see if I can find any trace of my ancesters, look up the O’Riordans, the Flanigans and McCrory’s. Drink fresh cream in my coffee, Guinness in a small pub, sing rebel songs whilst sloshed on Guiness and eating multiple pickled eggs, see Stonehenge, and maybe a faerie or leprachaun or two.
5. Publish, several books if possible and hopefully to an eager audience. Boring but the dream of any writer.
6. Eat massive amounts of crab, lobster and shrimp on the Cape in the summer with some very dear friends from both near and far. And jam a lifetime of friendship into a week if at all possible.
7. Find my cabin in the sky. I don’t literally mean a cabin, but my ideal place to live the rest of my life. I have had an image in my head since I was a little girl of this place; it is peaceful, beautiful and lush, and gives me a quiet energy that is restorative, where I can write inspired pieces and feel happy, safe and loved.
8. And last but not least to be able to meet each and every one of my virtual/blogger/internet friends. I envision some wild reunion or meeting hall or something, all of us there, laughing our asses off, exchanging phone numbers, recipes, photos, invitations to visit. Being happily surprised by how different we all are from what thought and yet how much the same. Lots of food, lots of bbq’ing, lots of talk, adventures, laughs. Just the best time ever. I wonder if could rent a town for a week? Something to think about.
Okay, that’s my bucketful of wishes – and there would have been more but I think that’s a pretty good list.
I’m not one to tag, so I will leave it to anyone who hasn’t yet done the meme (and there may only be a few left) to grab it and run with it. Thanks Teens, I really enjoyed this one.
Aha, now that all that heavy thinking is behind us, I have a meme of no consequence to share. Just for the hell of it. And no, the picture hasn’t got squat to do with it – but I thought it might make you curious.
1. WHAT TIME DID YOU GET UP THIS MORNING? 3:30 then 6:30, then 8:00 – yes, I’m an equal opportunity insomniac.
2. DIAMONDS OR PEARLS? Pearls, they go with everything you know and muggers never want them.
3 WHAT WAS THE LAST FILM YOU SAW AT THE CINEMA? Don’t remember, but it was probably not that good and cost too much to see.
5. WHAT DO YOU USUALLY HAVE FOR BREAKFAST? Coffee and maybe I can choke down a protein drink or something. Morning is for coffee, reading, and computer games, not eating or doing anything strenuous.
5a. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE TELEVISON SHOW? Medium, Heroes & Numbers – since this is summer and there really is nothing to watch, I don’t watch much tv lately – actuallly I don’t watch much tv anymore, generally. Also, too they started showing Dexter this last spring which was an interesting show – I would like to see more of that if only out of curiosity.
6. WHAT IS YOUR MIDDLE NAME? Marie. Sad, isn’t it?
7. WHAT FOOD DO YOU DISLIKE? Lamb and vennison, too sweet and icky. I go through phases when I can’t look at a chicken or tuna either and sometimes brocoli makes me want to gag.
8. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CD? Etta James – Story Book & Ricki Lee Jones (self titled)
9. WHAT KIND OF CAR DO YOU DRIVE? A midnight blue Toyota Avalon – not my preference but a decent car. If I had my druthers I’d have a 68 cherried out Chevy Impala, pale yellow, ragtop. Yeah, I’d be cruising.
10. FAVORITE SANDWICH? Rare roast beef, with dill pickles & provolone cheese, mayo, mustard and on fresh sourdough bread.
11. WHAT CHARACTERISTIC DO YOU DESPISE? Dishonesty I can’t abide it.
12. FAVORITE ITEM OF CLOTHING: My black leather flip flops, so comfortable and goes with everything.
13. IF YOU COULD GO ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD ON VACATION WHERE WOULD YOU
GO? That’s a tough one because I’m torn between what I would like to see and who I would like to visit – I’ve always wanted to go to New England in the Fall, I’ve recently become interested in Australia because I have friends there but honestly, Ireland is my number one, I feel a connection to the place and wanted to spend at least one birthday there. It’s on my wish list.
14. WHAT COLOR IS YOUR BATHROOM? Greens and blues, the colors of the sea.
15. FAVORITE BRAND OF CLOTHING? Donna Karan – her jeans are so good for my ass.
16. WHERE Will YOU RETIRE TO? I don’t know, Texas, Washington or New Mexico I think. Someplace with mild weather where it is easy to grow things and it’s beautiful to lookat.
17. WHAT WAS YOUR MOST MEMORABLE BIRTHDAY? I forget which birthday it was but it was the one where Zelda threw me a surprise party and everybody and their uncle came, plus all brought presents, we ate great food, had music, laughed and talked – it was perfect, it really was.
18. FAVORITE SPORT TO WATCH? Clearance table tug of wars.
19. FURTHEST PLACE YOU ARE SENDING THIS? No telling - the internet goes pretty far.
20. FAVORITE SAYING? Whatever. No, seriously, that’s it.
21. WHEN IS YOUR BIRTHDAY? St Patrick’s Day
22. ARE YOU A MORNING PERSON OR A NIGHT PERSON? I don’t know, I have gotten into the habit of waking pretty early, however, I really like the night time and seem to have more energy, especially creative energy then. So, I guess night.
23. WHAT IS YOUR SHOE SIZE? 7.5 and thank you for not inquiring about the width – yes, I confess I have duck feet.
24. ANY NEW AND EXCITING NEWS YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH US? Well, my temp gig ends today which means I will no longer have to see to the needs of 17 pets, a petulant slacker and mind-numbingly boring marketing stuff. That’s pretty exciting to me. But I’m easy to please. Also, my friend Kelly got out of the hospital yesterday and went home after 3 months in the hospital due to her car accident. I only wish I could be there for her.
25. WHAT DID YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU WERE LITTLE? A ballerina. I used to prance around. Dance in the backyard, on my bed, in the fields, the park, anywhere. I loved to twirl.
26. HOW ARE YOU TODAY? Pretty good. I’ve managed to start getting some sleep again which is always good news, have lots ideas for writing and I’m looking into podcasting, plus my hair doesn’t suck, lately.
27. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CANDY? Snickers. Not sure why but there is nothing better than a Snickers bar when you’re happy, you’re sad, you’re fat, you’re thin. Hey man, Snickers goes with everything.
28. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE FLOWER? Sterling roses. Somewhat rare, they are quite beautiful, look a lot like American Beauties but they are pale lavender with a silver edge to them. Very fragrant and magical looking in a way.
29. WHAT IS A DAY ON THE CALENDAR YOU ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO? August 22nd, I’m having a little vacay with my friend Jenny – which should be a scream. We haven’t had much time together in the last few years. So we’ll spend a few days being retards, laughing, eating, drinking, whatever – we always have fun.
30. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE? My foot? No, really…what was it? Salad I think. Boring, eh?
31. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? Deep sea green, like the ocean.
32. FAVORITE STARBUCKS DRINK? Sumatra daily drip, lots of cream, no sugar.
33. HOW IS THE WEATHER RIGHT NOW? Perfect, 75 degrees, cloudless, little breeze making the Mimosa tree sway.
34. FAVORITE SOFT DRINK? Diet Coke and Iced Tea.
35. FAVORITE RESTAURANT? The Castaway in Burbank. It is at the top of a mountain and it looks down on the entire Los Angeles Basin, the food is amazing and after you eat you can take your drink outside and sit at a table and watch the sunset. Fabulous.
36. SIBLINGS? Kathy, Michelle, Chris & Alan (deceased)
37. FAVORITE DAY OF THE YEAR? Christmas and 4th of July – dang I really can’t choose, can I? And I don’t want to if I were being honest. In my mind they are both about love, family, friends, food and celebration – what more could you want?
38. SUMMER OR WINTER? Summer without a doubt. I love the sun, I love flowers, I love butterflies, watermelon, balmy breezes, long days – ah, it’s the best. In fact if I could swing it I’d probably only have summer 364 days of the year and I would let snow on Christmas and then back to summer.
39 HUGS OR KISSES? Again with the choosing, that’s just not fair, both are really quite lovely and I couldn’t give up one for the other.
40 COFFEE OR TEA? Coffee, I do like my tea sometimes but I love my coffee, the darker, the stronger the better.
41. CHOCOLATE OR VANILLA? Chocolate with a little chocolate thrown on top for good measure.
42. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED? The other day when I talked to Kelly and she told me she was going home. I could cry just thinking about it now. I was so terrified she was going to die that with each little bit of progress I cry out of pure relief and happiness, knowing that I won’t lose my dear, sweet friend.
43. WHO IS THE FRIEND YOU HAVE HAD THE LONGEST? Kelly actually, with Zelda a close second and then Jenny – I like to keep my friends for a long time, forever actually – I can’t imagine my life without them, they mean so much to me.
44. WHAT DID YOU DO LAST NIGHT? I blogged, I visited, I wrote a silly pirate poem which had me in a gleeful twitter for some reason, talked to a couple of really good friends, made some plans that made me happy. Tried to sleep.
45. WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF? That one day I will not be able to write and that all that I have written means nothing.
46. WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON? I’m looking into doing some podcasting, not very technical so that should be an adventure. Also have a new mystery which I am getting back to, finishing an old novel from years back, writing lots of poetry, have another story that is rolling around in my head which may insist on being written, setting up some freelance work and should probably be contemplating getting back on my exercise routine which has suffered in the last couple of months.
47. WHAT WAS THE LAST BOOK YOU READ? T is for Trespass, by Sue Grafton, I think actually it’s my favorite from her, quite good. Currently on Brother Odd from Dean Koontz
48. FAVORITE DAY OF THE WEEK? Sunday, it’s when all of my stuff has been done, I can sleep in, be lazy, read, eat, garden, cook, hang with friends, write.
49. DO YOU MAKE FRIENDS EASILY? This is hard to answer. I am a friendly person and can make others feel at ease, which is born out of my shyness actually. Weird, huh? So that I do make friends easily in that way. But really close friends? Not so easily. I think it takes time and lots of time together to make a friend – don’t you?
Well and there you have it a boring weekend meme. Hope you enjoyed it.
Stole this one from Cowgal cuz it looked fun.
1. If you were to attend a costume party tonight, as what or whom would you go?
A devil, cuz I still have my devil ears headband from Halloween and I have no imagination when it comes to costumes.
2. What are your choice of toppings on a hamburger? And do you prefer gas or charcoal grilling?
Cheese, grilled onions, mayo/mustard, dill pickles. I don’t care how it’s cooked, I just want to eat it.
3. You are chosen to have lunch with the President. The condition is you only get to ask one question. What do you ask?
Mr. President, Do you ever feel like slugging Helen Thomas?
4. It’s your first day of vacation, what are you doing?
Walking along the beach, dancing away from the waves that break the shore.
5. What is your concession stand must-have at the movies?
Popcorn and diet coke.
6. Which do you dislike most: pop-up ads or spam email?
Tough choice, but I’d have to go with pop ups – it’s like being ambushed.
7. What do you think Captain Hook’s name was before he had a hook for a hand?
Martin Sissypants – just a feeling I have.
8. Rock, paper, or scissors?
9. How long was it from ‘the first date’ until the proposal of marriage? How long until the wedding?
Not a clue, next thing I knew I was married to a nerd.
10. Which is worse, being in a place that is too loud, or too quiet?
Too loud. I never have liked loud places/noises, it interferes with the voices in my head.
11. What is one quality that you really appreciate in a person?
Guts. Though I like a good sense of humor too. But I really admire anyone who can just go for it, no matter the risk or consequences. It’s why I hang out with people like Zelda.
12. At the good old general store, what particular kind of candy would you expect to be in the big jar at the counter?
Ah….red licorise twists. Oh yeah!
13. What is the most distinguishing landmark in your city?
The abandoned K-Mart building. Or the mountains….hmmm, can’t quite decide.
14. Everyone hears discussions that they consider boring. What topic can put you to sleep quicker than any other?
Discussion of sports, sports events, super bowls, basketball playoffs – pretty much any sport but baseball which ironically is the only sport I understand. Oh yeah, soccer stuff. Yawn…
15. How many times did it take you to pass your drivers test?
Once – I’m a good driver.
16. If you had to have the same topping on your vanilla ice cream for the rest of your life, what topping would you choose?
Something chocolate, hershey’s chocolate syrup, yup that’ll do it.
17. What food item would need to be removed from the market altogether in order for you to live a healthier, longer life?
Chips of any type or description.
18. You are offered an envelope that you know contains $50. You are then told that you may either keep it or exchange it for another envelope that may contain $500 or may be empty. Do you keep the first envelope, or do you take your chances with the second?
I’d take my chances – I started out with nothing so if I end up with the $500 then I really win. Cuz let’s face it, $50 can barely fill up the gas tank these days.
19. If you had to choose, which would you give up: cable TV, or DSL/cable internet?
Well since you can’t blog with a television, I’d have to go with the internet connection. Besides, you can watch tv online – or so I hear.
20. What is your highest level of education?
Did two years of college.
21. How much is a gallon of gas in your city? What was the highest it’s been?
Yesterday I saw it was going for $3.57 a gallon for regular. Luckily I only drive a couple of times a week.
22. What kind of lunch box did you have as a kid?
How uncool is that? A lunchbox, hell no. Whenever I took lunch it was always in a brown paper bag, that way I could make a hand puppet to play with in the afternoon.
23. What would you rather have, a nanny, a housekeeper, a cook, or a chauffeur?
That’s a tough one, the chauffer sounds good but then I really don’t go anywhere – so I’m going with housekeeper who would hopefully also do my laundry.
24. Would you rather be trapped in an elevator, or stuck in traffic?
Stuck in traffic, cuz worse case scenario you can abandon your car and walk home and you have a radio and hopefully, snacks with you and your cell phone. Elevators suck, even if you don’t get stuck in them, there is something creepy about being jammed shoulder to shoulder with strangers you would go out of your way to avoid if you saw them on the street.
25. Lets say a brick fell on your foot, and your kid is standing right next to you, what is your ‘cleaned up’ swear word?
‘Criminy’ (pronounced – cry-men-nee) or ‘oh cripes’ or ‘jeez louise’ – they all work.
Feel free to steal this one and do it yourself.
Okay, so since my head has apparently emptied itself of all content, I went searching for writing prompts and memes and had little to no luck. So, I’ve decided to put together a completely nonsensical meme based on a few questions I saw and liked and a couple of my own.
What is your favorite vacation spot? Why?
My mind – because I never have trouble booking a flight.
If there was one person who best exemplified everything that you are against, who would that person be? Who is the “anti-you”?
Barney the Purple Dragon.
Are bloggers the rockstars of tomorrow?
Only if middle-age and support stockings appeal to the masses.
If tomorrow morning you woke up ten years older, what would be the first thing that you would do?
Call my cardiologist and warm my bedpan.
How do you know when someone is your friend?
They don’t turn and run when they see me coming.
List 10 words that you would like to hear more often in everyday conversation.
cocadoodledoo - unctuous – smarmy – discombobulated- – chaise lounge – nimcompoop- munchkin – nubile repugnant -copacetic
What was your last dream about?
Singing show tunes in public (and quite well, I might add) and prescription strength deodorant.
What would the title of your memoir be?
I Couldn’t Help Myself.
Who will you blame for this meme?
Cassie, the political idiot.
Okay, there you have it, the meme of desperation and empty-headedness. Feel free to tag yourself or anyone else you may want to annoy. WC
So, here’s a dumb little meme. There are no rules, nor any tagging to be done – no heads up emails or necessity to figure which of your blogger buddies you will name to carry the life continuum for the meme. Just some questions and answers. I like it. Simple.
1. If you could pause your aging process, at what age would you choose do to it? (Meaning you would not live forever, but live for 90 or so years at whatever age you chose).
Thirty nine – I know, weird choice, huh? But I’ll tell you, that was the age when I felt both smart and beautiful, wise and youthful and I was wearing a size 8 with wild abandon. And I even (honest to God) remember thinking to myself, ‘if I could just freeze right here, right now, that would be perfect.’
2. At what age did you (or will you) consider yourself to be an adult?
I don’t think I’ve found that age yet. Although, at my current age I am expected to pay my bills, rent and feed myself – which really is quite unfair if you ask me. The one thing I always wanted to be when I was a kid was a grown up – once the world believed me, I changed my mind. What can I say, I’m a rebel.
3. What do you think will be your most annoying trait when you’re a senior?
Probably the umbrella I will carry me at all times to whack whatever idiot I come across at any given moment over the head when they annoy me.
4. How does your current life compare with where you thought you’d be at this point when you were young?
I don’t know that I had a particular image of where I thought I’d be at my current age. I never think of things in terms of age or even time. Though I did think I would have married and had children. I did marry at one point, but never had children and I suppose if there was one thing I could change about my life it would be that. I really believe I would have been a good mom and would have loved to have children. Aside from that, I think I’ve always felt that my life would follow my heart for the most part and that it would be a journey that I would try to enjoy.
5. When would you like to retire? What do you see yourself doing with your life after retirement?
I never intend to retire. In my mind, retiring is like raising the white flag. You might as well climb onto your roof and scream, “I’m done world, come and get me.” I also believe that people who retire are generally unhappy. I think that people who remain active and engaged in life live longer and are happier by and large than those who dream of retiring. I will say though, I’d be happy to retire from work-a-day jobs and just make my living writing, but that is no secret and nothing you don’t know already. But really, when I look toward the future, I pretty much figure I’ll die with a pen in my hand or at the keyboard of a computer. Hopefully, the page won’t be stuck to my face and my surviving next of kin can get it published.
So, those are my answers – how about you?
My buddy Teeni has not tagged me for this meme, but I’m doing it anyway.
Write a list of things of which you are suspicious. Any number of them will do.
Include the list of rules, if you feel like it.
Link back to the person who tagged you. Or don’t.
Tag people you want to tag or skip this step altogether.
If you acted on rule four, leave comments on their websites to let them know that they have been tagged or just let them be surprised. Surprises are good.
1. Cell phones, especially the ones that can do everything but your laundry. A phone was meant as a calling/talking device to put you in touch with people who aren’t in your immediate area, not to play music, show movie previews, do your homework or take pictures.
2. People who say, trust me, as soon as they say it, I’m absolutely sure that that is the last thing I should do. Others phrases that you can insert which mean much the same: would I lie to you (yes) who loves you? (my mommy) you can take that to the bank (and they’ll tell me it’s counterfeit, right?) I’ve got it under control (it takes more than a remote, bub)
3. Salesmen who won’t answer the question, How much is it? It’s a simple question and really there should only be one answer, so what is so difficult about answering it? When they don’t answer the question I immediately know the answer is, too much.
4. Soy. Sorry my vegan friends, I just don’t trust it. To me, it’s like flouride – one of those one-size-fits-all things that can do everything from improve your sex life to whiten your teeth. It’s a bean for crying out loud (or maybe it’s a legume, I never did get those two straight), how much can one little bean do? Depending on what study you’re reading, it will shorten your life by ten years or cure cancer. Nope, I just don’t trust that stuff.
5. Paperless offices. I know, I know, I’m a technophobe. I freely admit it. But let me tell you, every ‘paperless’ office I’ve ever worked in was 1) Not really paperless, otherwise we wouldn’t have been buying cases of paper from Office Depot, 2)The paper they felt was unimportant was usually the very thing that the IRS, the state government or OSHA wanted to see and 3) Can you say power outtage? If the transformer blows or you lose your Internet connection you’re screwed. Redundancy is what I’m all about.
6. The guys who show up at your office right around Christmas, dragging duffles of stuff, claiming a truck broke down in the area and they have to unload the stuff today only, cuz the order was cancelled by the original orderer. Now, I’m sure if the truck did break down that these jokers robbed the poor dude while he was changing a flat, otherwise who would trust morons like this with valuable merchandize? And on the odd chance the broken down truck story were true, why would they sell the stuff for 50 cents on the dollar when they could just send another truck to pick up the stuff and take it back to the warehouse?
7. Bloggers (sploggers) who say they accidentally stole your content or that the ghost writer did it. Right, just like my dog ate my homework when I was a kid.
8. Politicians, interest groups, individuals and anyone else who says they can get the government to buy me what I should be buying for myself. Since we as a Republic, are the government. So anytime, somebody sells you on a program, just remember, you and I are paying for it, one way or another it will come out of our paychecks, profits, property or any other thing these dopes can figure out to cyphon from.
9. People who preach to me about changing my lifestyle to save the planet (the whales, the white-assed owl, the booby-gooby tumbleweed or whatever) while they zoom around the planet in their private jets, with their entourages, $500 dinners and $5,000 suits. I say, ‘practice what you preach.’
10. The twofer sale. Now how is it a vendor can sell you two for the price of one unless they’ve been selling it previously for twice what they should? I didn’t fall of the shopper’s truck yesterday you know.
11. The news, newspapers and news magazines. Now way back when, when the 5th Estate began I think there was a good purpose in wanting to let the public know what was going on. These days it’s just more a matter of what will repel and scintillate people. What will enrage or lead astray. It’s gone from the people’s right to know to we’ll tell you what to know.
12. Hot dogs. Have you ever read what the FDA allows in hotdogs? I don’t suggest you check it out or you will never go near another hot dog again. If I want mouse ears and grasshopper legs on a bun, I’ll just go foraging in my backyard.
13. Credit card companies and any government agency. First of all, can anyone really understand their credit card statement? All that fractional math makes my head spin and whenever I call them to have it explained to me I just hang up the phone more confused than I was in the first place. Government agencies – they are staffed with people who are members of the biggest, ironclad union in the world – they can never get fired and they get raises for being there. What makes anyone think they have any interest in doing their jobs?
14. Chain emails, especially the ones that tell you bad luck will befall you if you don’t do as they say. Cripes, at least with old time chain letters, you had the chance to get a few bucks.
15. Multi Level Marketing. Look, after you’ve forced the products on all your friends and family where do you go? You’ll be lucky if the profits end up paying for the dang kit you had to buy.
16. Motivational speakers. Why on earth would I pay a total stranger thousands of dollars for what I can get my mom to do for free? Jeez!
Anyway that’s my list. What’s yours?
Oh and tag yourself if you want.