- The main character, Lottie Stark, is named for my paternal Grandmother – Carlotta. But everybody called her Lottie.
- The male lead, Jack Brady, is a recycled character from an unpublished novel I wrote called, Deadlock. Though this new Jack Brady is younger, more brash, and less world weary, the ‘bones’ of the character are still there.
- The villian is based on a monologue I wrote for an actor to perform in his acting class, to which I was the teaching assistant.
- The main location, Regal Reef, California is a fictional town that exists in the ether of my imagination somewhere between Fresno and Visalia.
- The only good cooks in this series are men.
- I “finished” the trilogy twice before this final finish. The first time it was finished I ended up tearing it apart after beta reader feedback. The second time it was finished, I just happened to stumble upon the ‘Storygrid’ method as I was doing final edits, and again, I ended up tearing it apart for structure. This time is the third finishing – but I believe the third time is the charm.
- Two of the best characters in the series are dogs.
- Though the story takes place in a small fictional town in Central California, the main character, Lottie Stark, is a Texan.
- The dog theme of the books comes from Lottie Stark’s love of dogs and that she has a dog rescue in addition to being the Chief of Police of the town. The killer also uses her love of dogs against her.
Just for fun, I’ve also put together a playlist for the series.
The Dead Dog Trilogy will release as single volumes and boxed set in the last week of August 2018.